How To Overcome Depression – Starter Guide
It is a mental state of being where happiness is hard to come by and everything seems to be going on wrong. It could be as serious as bringing about suicidal thoughts; this reason is why it shouldn’t be treated as a trivial case.
At a point in life, happenings and circumstances makes us sad, depending on the gravity of these unfortunate happenings, the sadness maybe short-lived or prolonged. A prolonged state of being sad is what is referred to as DEPRESSION.
When you start having feelings of dejection towards yourself, when you feel sad and hopeless, when you think nothing about you is good enough, there’s high probability you’re suffering from depression.
In this article, we’ve taking our time to research about proven ways you can employ to overcome depression and ensure it doesn’t graduate into a more damaging mental state of being. Since the state of being depressed doesn’t just start at once – it’s a prolonged state of sadness, overcoming it isn’t just an overnight thing either – it’s a gradual process.
Here are the various tips you can employ to gradually overcome depression:
• AVOID BEING ALONE – Being in the company of people is a great way of curing depression. You should ensure you have no reason to be alone; this helps you prevent thinking about what makes you sad exactly. Try to hang out with friends and family, to catch fun, crack jokes, and share laughter. It helps brighten up the mood and get the thoughts that make you depress off your mind. Repeating this on a regular basis would definitely help you overcome depression in no time.
• GET BUSY – Making sure you’re void of free time is also another way to cure depression. This step doesn’t mean you should work around the clock without proper rest, you can engage in things you’re passionate about during your leisure time. It prevents you from having free time to brood over whatever left you depressed. Part of the things you can engage in during your leisure includes exercises, games, seeing movies, reading novels or any hobby you find interesting.
• RE-VISIT HAPPY MEMORIES – Depending on what your cause of depression is, you can improve your mood by re-visiting your old happy memories. It gives you the strength needed to keep pushing on, and hopes of a brighter tomorrow. However, if your cause of depression is something you can’t do away with, something you keep running into, then it’s advisable to try as much as possible to avoid anything that can remind you of it and make you more down spirited than usual.
• SEEK HELP – This step is very vital; it is an essential thing that helps ensure you overcome your present mental state of bring easily. When you are depressed, you don’t keep mute, try as much as possible to seek help, either by sharing your plight with friends or families or by visiting a psychologist. The latter is more preferable, this is due to the fact that psychologists are well trained in this field and they know the right approach to take towards bringing people back to their normal self.
• POSITIVITY – However funny this may sound; it is a simple trick that works magic. Telling yourself positive things at every chance you get being optimistic about everything you do is another way to gradually overcome depression. By just repeating “I’m beautiful, smart, strong, intelligent, the best” to yourself with strong conviction every day, you can help yourself get over depression in no time.
Signing up for volunteer services, engaging in activities you can derive pleasure from and surrounding yourself with positive minded people are other means of gradually curing this disease called DEPRESSION.